The Kirk Douglas Theatre is located in Culver City, California and in 2004, was acquired by the famed Center Theatre Group. The theatre is the most intimate of the group's three stages and seats 317 patrons at max occupancy.
Built in 1946, as a Streamline Moderne movie palace with a seating capacity of 1,160 (on a stadium plan with no overhanging balcony), the Culver Theatre (as it was previously named) was located near the Columbia Pictures studio lot (then the lot for MGM). It opened on August 13, 1946.
Originally, much like surrounding downtown Culver City, the Culver was a key part of classic Hollywood's thriving entertainment community. But, eventually, much of the entertainment industry moved to points north and the theater grew tired and worn over the years.